When the first iPhone was released back in 2007, little would have anybody guessed that this tiny block of technological marvel would soon evolve into a part of a larger universe – the Apple Universe. Fast forward to 2020, and we are just weeks away from the launch of the 12th generation iPhone. The advancement in technology is true for all the gadgets in the Universe- from Macbook to iWatch.
With great power comes great responsibility, and with Great Technology comes Greater responsibilities! If you have an iPhone and are reading this article, chances are you must have accidentally exposed it to water while taking a shower or while working in the kitchen sink or by any other means. And if it is showing some glitches, don’t worry. We have you sorted! So, read on!
Some unforeseen situations that can expose your iPhone to water:
- Accidentally falling into the water
- Exposing to rain
- Children mishandling the phone
- iPhone Water Damage due to excess moisture
Some of the common problems faced:
- Your iPhone may not be charging due to water damage.
- Your iPhone is not switching on.
- Your iPhone is not as responsive as earlier.
- Your iPhone is getting overheated quickly.
- Your iPhone’s display is not working.
- Your iPhone’s Touch screen is not working.
- You have lost all data on your iPhone
If your iPhone has very minimal exposure to water
The first and foremost thing to do if your iPhone has come minutely in contact with water is to separate it from water at any cost. Say, if there are only droplets of water on the screen and body, take a cotton cloth and wipe it off immediately before the water finds its way inside. Switch off your iPhone and keep it aside.
If your iPhone has maximum exposure to water
With maximum exposure to water, chances of major damage are more. Maximum exposure can arise when the phone falls in the water, and you can see that the liquid has entered inside the phone through its charging slot/earpiece, etc.
After ensuring that the phone is switched off immediately, rush to the nearest Apple center. This is an SOS situation. If you rely on websites that offer you home remedies for reversing water damage, you will be in for an unpleasant surprise! Any amiss at your end will not only hamper the iPhone data recovery but may also permanently damage internal parts like the Motherboard, IC, etc.
Some tips before initiating Mission – Water Damage iPhone data recovery–
Beware of the Misleading information on the internet.
Some of the websites have mentioned a few misleading steps to reverse the damage caused by significant water exposure. They are:
- Dry iPhone using uncooked rice
- Wait for 48-72 hours after iPhone has fallen in the water
- Dry iPhone using Silica gel
- Remove any accessories from your phone
- Remove the iPhone case to allow air circulation
The expert technical team at Recovery Squad, who are adept at repairing electronic devices like iPhones and MacBooks in Melbourne and Perth, has found that the above methods do not guarantee success. They have discovered that phones that are kept in contact with water droplets for more than 6 hours can develop rust. This, in turn, causes considerable damage to the internal parts and raise the cost of repair by 10 to 20 folds. Therefore, the best practice would be to switch off the phone and bring it to the service center.
Do NOT do this before taking iPhone to Service center:
- Do not switch on your iPhone
- Do not plug in your iPhone for charging
- Do not attempt to heat your iPhone in an oven
- Do not use hairdryer/ blow-dryer to heat the iPhone
- Do not shake or rotate your iPhone
- Do not press the Home button
Additionally, several apps are available on the internet that claim to recover the data in case of water damage. Do not fall prey to their false claims. The best these apps can do is try “recovering” the data you lost due to “Water Damage” by re-downloading your iCloud account files. Again, the best way to recover your lost data is by visiting the nearest service center and trusting the experts at work.
Recovery Squad provides top iPhone data recovery services in Perth & Melbourne. We also provide Mac data recovery in Melbourne and Perth. The required technical assistance is also provided to all the clients. Your data is essential, and all possible steps are taken to retrieve the same. The expert technicians will treat your iPhone and MacBook with utmost care!
Let’s look at the few steps that you can look out for a while at one of the service centers:
- Step 1 – Disassembling the iPhone: The first thing you will note is technicians disassembling all the components separately of your water damaged iPhone.
- Step 2 – Introspect the Motherboard for details: The technicians will then closely examine each of the disassembled components to check for any rust, motherboard damage, short circuit, burned components. It is very much a possibility if you have delayed bringing the phone to the Service Centre.
- Step 3 – Dry out the Motherboard with Ultrasonic washer: The technician will then insert your device’s motherboard in a device called ‘Ultrasonic washer,’ which will let the water evaporate and make the board dry.
- Step 4 – Isopropyl Alcohol cleaning: After taking out the motherboard from the Ultrasonic washer, the motherboard’s base plate is cleaned manually using a brush and isopropyl alcohol in it.
- Step 5 – Clean the connectors: The technicians then use their seasoned hands to clean the connectors and the motherboard.
- Step 6 – Heat gun drying: The technicians then use the sophisticated heat gun to ensure the motherboard’s dryness.
- Step 7 – Assemble the iPhone: The technicians ensure that all the original components of the phone that were disassembled are back in their original places.
- Step 8 – Ensure a voila moment: This is when the technician will power on your iPhone and check if it is functional.
- Step 9 – Attempt data recovery: After the phone is switched on, the data is extracted from your iPhone without further damage. Many times, the iPhone is still functional after the data recovery has been completed. This is a more complicated process, which is a complete discipline in itself. Our engineers have resolved Data Recovery issues for hundreds of iPhones and MacBooks.
If you are located in and around Melbourne and Perth, you can connect with one of the best IT companies for iPhone data extraction services.